Friday 30 January 2015

Satire vs Protest (POVO magazine commentary)



For those of you that love African arts but didn't manage to get your hands on POVO magazine I'm going to be commenting on the articles and stuff.

I really enjoyed Rumbidzai Dube's (@dubbydacious) article inonzi "Is Satire the New Protest?" mainly because I love protest music (I have every major Bob Dylan track) and I'm abscessed with satire comedy shows (like Arrested Development - "It's a satire - Marc Cherry"). Anywhere back to Povo magazine..

Rumbie's article is ridiculously hilarious. She anatomical dissected the "Zviri kumbofamba sei" (Best translated as - What [censored] is going on in our Zimbabwean society). Dubbydacious is a lawyer/ blogger** by profession, so you can expect nothing less than brilliance in her article. She even expresses her bafflement with Alick Macheso' unorthodox "nhova" medicine he allegedly tried to use to cure his daughter.

If it wasn't for this attile I wouldn't have connected the dots of similarity between my two favourite forms of expression; satire & protest. If you failed to get a copy, read the entire magazine online:

http://issuu.com/povo/docs/povo_journal_2014-anniversaryeditio


**Lawyer/Blogger reminds me of Arrested Development's Wayne Jarvis and his tongue-twistingly titled law blog.

#ReadingPOVOmagazine


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say in this..